Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: maderuelo | segovia |
Links: FOTW homepage |
search |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
mirrors
Flag of Maderuelo - Image by "Magister Mathematicae" (Wikimedia Commons), 20 April 2011
See also:
The municipality of Maderuelo (155 inhabitants in 2010; 9,419 ha; unofficial webpage) is located in the north of Segovia Province, on the border with the Burgos and Soria Provinces.
Maderuelo was founded by the Counts of Castile to secure the border
with the Muslim states, then river Duero. It was mentioned for the
first time, as Castro Maderolum, by Bishop Rodrigo Jiménez de Rada
among the fortresses reconquerred in 1010 by Count Sancho Garcés;
there is, however, no archeological evidence of a Muslim fortification
on the today's site of Maderuelo. Once part of the Community of the
Village and Land of Sepúlveda, Maderuelo was made in 1088 the capital
of the Community of the Village and Land of Maderuelo, ruling some 20
smaller villages.
The chapel of the True Cross was built in the first quarter of the
12th century out of the walls of the village. Probably built by the
Knights Templars, the chapel had a set of wall frescos believed to
have been designed by a painter taught in Italy together with the
unknown Master of Santa María de Tahull (Lleida); the frescos were
transported in 1950 to the Prado Museum in Madrid.
The first known lord of Maderuelo is Beraudon de Faudoas, Ambassador
of Louis of Anjou at the Castilian court, made lord of the village and
of the castle of Maderuelo on 7 November 1384 by King John I. Queen
Leonor of Navarre purchased the domain in 1389; on 9 September 1423,
John II transferred Maderuelo to Álvaro de Luna. Diego López Pacheco,
the second Marquis of Villena, inherited of Maderuelo by marriage;
his descendants kept the domain until the abolishment of the feudal
system in 1811.
Ivan Sache, 20 April 2011
The flag and arms of Maderuelo are prescribed by a Decree adopted on
13 January 1997 by the Segovia Provincial Government, signed on 30
January 1997 by the President of the Government, and published on 11
February 1997 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 28 (text).
The symbols are described
as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1, quartered red and white. In the middle is placed the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Azure a castle or port and windows gules over waves argent and azure, 2. Gules a crescent argent per fess a chief of the same, a bordure or with 19 towers gules. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.
The symbols (presentation) were designed by Agencia Heráldica Borbone (document
dated 28 February 1995), commissioned on 23 January 1995 by the
municipal administration.
The dexter part of the arms represents the village and the river, the
second quarter represents Álvaro de Luna (with a canting element, the
moon, in Spanish, luna), and the border represents the 19 villages
once part of the Community of the Village and Land of Maderuelo. The
colors of the flag are the traditional colors of Castilla y León.
Ivan Sache, 20 April 2011